[openstack-dev] [barbican] DB Migrations

Douglas Mendizabal douglas.mendizabal at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Jun 4 15:51:37 UTC 2013

Thanks for the feedback, guys.  We'll be moving forward with Alembic.

-Douglas Mendizabal
Rackspace, Inc.
________________________________
From: Endre Karlson [endre.karlson at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 4:57 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [barbican] DB Migrations

We've got it in BillingStack as well. Though it's not active atm.

Endre.

2013/6/3 David Ripton <dripton at redhat.com<mailto:dripton at redhat.com>>
On 06/03/2013 12:34 PM, Douglas Mendizabal wrote:
Hi everyone,

We're using SQLAlchemy in the Barbican project and we're looking add db
schema migrations.  We looked at sqlalchemy-migrate since it is being
used in a few other projects, but the docs recommend using Alembic for
new projects.

We're thinking of going with Alembic, since it seems it's better
maintained.  Just wanted to reach out to the mailing list to see if
anyone had any input for/against Alembic.

The grass is always greener on the other side, but I totally suggest Alembic.  sqlalchemy-migrate's overly-linear nature causes pain for Nova on a regular basis.  (For example, there are currently multiple patches in review with migrate #185.  Whichever one doesn't get in first will have to rename and re-review.)

--
David Ripton   Red Hat   dripton at redhat.com<mailto:dripton at redhat.com>