[openstack-dev] Feedback wanted please on proposal to make root disk size variable

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Mon Jun 3 16:51:20 UTC 2013

Hi Folks,

I'd like to get your feedback on a change we've been looking at which would allow the root disc size to vary within the constraints specified by the image Creator (via image metadata ) and the Cloud Provider (via flavors).

The problem we're trying to solve is to cope with a range of images that have different root disc requirements without having to either create specific flavours for each image type of have all instances use a large root size when they don't need to.    Imagine for example trying to have a common set of flavours for Linux and Windows without forcing all Linux instances to have a 30GB root disc.

We think we have an approach which will do this without preventing anyone's existing use cases.  The proposal is capture here as a blueprint https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/variable-size-root-disk  which in turn points to a full description here in the Wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/VariableSizeRootDisk

We've also posted draft code that shows how this could be implemented here:  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/31521/

We're aware that there is still work to do on this around unit tests, but wanted to get some early feedback on the approach.

Cheers,
Phil