[openstack-dev] Process for proposing patches attached to launchpad bugs?

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 14:32:58 UTC 2013

In the past, I've been able to get authors of bug fixes attached to
Launchpad bugs to sign the CLA and submit the patch through gerrit...
although, in one case it took quite a bit of time (and thankfully it wasn't
a critical fix or anything).

This scenario just came up again (example: [1]), so I'm asking
preemptively... what if the author is unwilling / unable in signing the CLA
and propose through gerrit, or it's a critical bug fix and waiting on an
author to go through the CLA process is undesirable for the community?
Obviously that's a bit of a fail on our part, but what's the most
appropriate & expedient way to handle it?

Can we propose the patch to gerrit ourselves?

If so, who should appear as the --author of the commit? Who should appear
as Co-Authored-By, especially when the committer helps to evolve the patch
evolves further in review?

Alternatively, am I going about this all wrong?

Thanks!

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1198171/comments/8

-Dolph