[openstack-dev] Process for proposing patches attached to launchpad bugs?

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Dec 20 19:07:09 UTC 2013

On 12/20/2013 09:32 AM, Dolph Mathews wrote:
> In the past, I've been able to get authors of bug fixes attached to
> Launchpad bugs to sign the CLA and submit the patch through gerrit...
> although, in one case it took quite a bit of time (and thankfully it
> wasn't a critical fix or anything).
>
> This scenario just came up again (example: [1]), so I'm asking
> preemptively... what if the author is unwilling / unable in signing the
> CLA and propose through gerrit, or it's a critical bug fix and waiting
> on an author to go through the CLA process is undesirable for the
> community? Obviously that's a bit of a fail on our part, but what's the
> most appropriate & expedient way to handle it?
>
> Can we propose the patch to gerrit ourselves?
>
> If so, who should appear as the --author of the commit? Who should
> appear as Co-Authored-By, especially when the committer helps to evolve
> the patch evolves further in review?
>
> Alternatively, am I going about this all wrong?
>
> Thanks!
>
> [1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1198171/comments/8

It's not your code, so you really can't propose it without them having
signed the CLA, or propose it as your own.

Ideally have someone else fix the same bug that hasn't looked at the patch.

>From a quick look, it seems likely that this fix is small and straight
forward enough that the clean new implementation is going to end up
looking very similar.  Still, I think it's the right thing to do.

--
Russell Bryant