[openstack-dev] [QA][Tempest][Ceilometer] Pollster's testing strategy

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 05:31:26 UTC 2013

On 12/20/2013 08:18 AM, Nadya Privalova wrote:
> Hi guys!

Hi Nadya :)

> For QA and Tempest guys brief description of Ceilometer's pollstering.
> Ceilometer has several agents that once in 'interval' asks Nova, Glance
> and other services about their metrics. We need to test this
> functionality, 'Interval' is defined in pipeline.yaml file and is 10
> minutes by default.
>
> I'd like to discuss the strategy of pollster's testing in tempest. Now
> we need to wait 10 min to test the correctness of pollsters' work, as I
> understand it is not appropriate.
> I see the following solutions here:
> 1. Add smth like 'if tempest then interval = 5 sec'. This change should
> go to gating AFAIU

Yes, you would need to make a small change near here [1] to have the
devstack-gate script set a devstack localrc variable that can be read in
devstack's ceilometer_config setup function [1] which would change the
value of the interval setting in pipeline.yaml file.

Best,
-jay

[1]
https://github.com/openstack-infra/devstack-gate/blob/master/devstack-vm-gate.sh#L162