[openstack-dev] missing information about change-id in GerritWorkflow wiki?

Roman Gorodeckij holms at holms.lt
Wed Aug 7 12:44:18 UTC 2013

Hi,

I just completely messed up in here.

Was reading a manual about Gerrit workflow: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Gerrit_Workflow#Committing_Changes
And then there's link to here about how to build commit messages: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GitCommitMessages

and I'm starting to see "Change-id" line in every commit message, which naturally makes me wonder, what is this at all..?

There's explanation in manual

The 'Change-id' line is a unique hash describing the change, which is generated by a GIT commit hook. This should not be changed when rebasing a commit following review feedback, since it is used by Gerrit, to track versions of a patch.

and my first reaction is … 'wat?'. What is git commit hook? Where's instruction how to install it. If manual should explain workflow, I'd like to have full of it, not just "figure out your self"

Of course in IRC #openstack-dev this was explained:

08:26 < agorodnev> holms: usually I push to gerrit and it tells me that I forgot to add change id and
                   suggests me change id =) I copy it, do git commit --amend, append change id to commit
                   message. That works =)
08:28 < agorodnev> holms: you need to put commit-msg file to .git/hooks
08:31 < agorodnev> $>scp -p -P 29418 <your-login>@review.openstack.org:hooks/commit-msg .git/hooks/

1) I'm considering this practise not normal at all, just a workaround
2) Would be nice to have this in manual, because I just don't know what to do next if I'm on my own learning curve.

Cheers,