[openstack-dev] [Openstack][Glance] difference api version between v1 and v2

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Fri Apr 12 10:01:18 UTC 2013

> Gareth,
>
> There are a number of improvisations in v2 of Glance API. To name a few the
> registry layer is no longer been used in v2 of Glance API(so one less layer
> your request has to go through), image sharing has been designed to prevent
> spamming in v2, there are additional features like protected properties and
> multiple locations been worked on. I am sure there are several more.

One other bit of newness in v2 that's worth noting, because it's
actually used in anger by both cinder and nova currently, is the
direct_url metadata which if enabled in glance allows a client to
directly access image content from the backend store (if that can
be achieved more cheaply that way than by traversing the glance-api
service).

Also there was a design document for the v2 API knocking around
that might be useful for background and detail. The latest draft
version I have to hand is:

  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jPdgmQUzTuSt9iqcgPy74fbkzafCvqfQpvzRhwf2Kic

though there may be a more recent version in existence.

Cheers,
Eoghan