[openstack-dev] Grizzly's out - let the numbers begin...

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Apr 4 15:24:38 UTC 2013

Hey!

On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 11:01 -0400, Monty Taylor wrote:
> I know everyone loves looking at numbers around this time. I'm sure
> there will be several new reports on which people or companies did the
> most. I wanted to poke at a slightly different thing - which is overall
> combined community effort.
>
> 	                Essex	Folsom	Grizzly
> Patches Uploaded	11036	17986	29308
> Changes Created	        5137	5990	12721
> Changes Landed	        4235	4978	10561
> Avg patches per Change	2.6	3.6	2.7
> Landing Percentage	82%	83%	83%
>
> Clearly our velocity continues to increase, which is great. Something
> happened during folsom to cause us to need to on-average iterate more to
> get a change landed, but then we corrected the ship during grizzly. I'm
> more fascinated by the fact that our percentage of changes created to
> changes landed is holding extremely steady.
>
> Great work at managing the firehose everybody!

Indeed, those are amazing stats! Nice one Monty.

I sent out gitdm based "Who wrote Essex/Folsom" stats in previous
releases:

  https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg09650.html
  https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg17006.html

and I've done them again for Grizzly:

  https://github.com/markmc/openstack-gitdm/blob/results/grizzly/git-stats.txt

Frankly, though, I'm losing faith in this "number of commits" statistic
being all that useful. Most of my commits were probably trivial cfg
cleanups in Nova.

Also, bitergia's stats are getting more and more comprehensive:

  http://blog.bitergia.com/2013/04/04/companies-contributing-to-openstack-grizzly-analysis/

So ... consider openstack-gitdm orphaned and open to a new
maintainer :-)

Cheers,
Mark.