[openstack-dev] Grizzly's out - let the numbers begin...

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Apr 4 15:47:11 UTC 2013

> On Thu, 2013-04-04 at 11:01 -0400, Monty Taylor wrote:
>> I know everyone loves looking at numbers around this time. I'm sure
>> there will be several new reports on which people or companies did the
>> most. I wanted to poke at a slightly different thing - which is overall
>> combined community effort.

Nice ones, Monty, thanks. Do you think this is a report worth seeing at
regular intervals, at each milestone for example and at release time?

On 04/04/2013 08:24 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> and I've done them again for Grizzly:
>
>    https://github.com/markmc/openstack-gitdm/blob/results/grizzly/git-stats.txt

Sweet! Thank you

> Frankly, though, I'm losing faith in this "number of commits" statistic
> being all that useful. Most of my commits were probably trivial cfg
> cleanups in Nova.

Not one single number has meanings by itself but only acquires a meaning
inside a story. If you look at count of commits together with the number
of bugs closed over time, so you can see trends, for example, you may
have an idea of how much effort goes into stabilization vs new features.
Looking at commits and lines of code added/removed can also help
understand where the development effort is going. Or at least the
numbers will seem to tell something and force you to want to dive deeper.

> Also, bitergia's stats are getting more and more comprehensive:
>
>    http://blog.bitergia.com/2013/04/04/companies-contributing-to-openstack-grizzly-analysis/

Yes, we've hired them also to get a full self service dashboard updated
regularly (daily). It will go together with the Insights provided by
wikidsmart on the OpenStack Community Activity Board. Stay tuned for an
announcement early next week, with a link to the beta site and add this
session to your calendar while you're at it:

http://openstacksummitapril2013.sched.org/event/ebbf37e343246e0b80bf99540a0c8d86#.UV2fhlGJSoM

> So ... consider openstack-gitdm orphaned and open to a new
> maintainer :-)

Thanks for all the work, Mark. Git-dm has been a source of data also for
Bitergia, to double-check and reconciliate people-company affiliation
while the Foundation improves its membership database.

cheers,
stef