[openstack-dev] making the dev toolchain easier to bring together

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Nov 14 13:11:40 UTC 2012

On 11/13/2012 08:22 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> At the moment its a bit of a black art getting setup so that
> ./run_tests.sh will work in e.g. nova.
>
> (For instance, you need python-dev on Ubuntu, and there isn't, AFAICT,
> any documentation of that other than group-knowledge).
>
> I'd like to encode this stuff in a repeatable form, so that one can
> run some hypothetical tool to get setup for developing on nova, or
> glance, or ...; with the knowledge about what is needed localised to
> the particular codebase (so that having pristine environments is
> easy).
>
> As a strawman:
>   - pull the devstack code for interpreting operating system package
> dependencies out of devstack into an oslo tool

This actually seems like a really bad idea to me. Up until this point
the openstack code just relies on python code versions, which is good,
as it makes no specific requirements on packagers on how they want to
bundle this or the dependencies up (naming conventions, moving naming
conventions, splitting packages, etc).

I think that's good. openstack git is upstream and completely agnostic
to packaging.

Devstack is an opinionated installer on a distro, which is why it has
the package lists. Which is appropriate.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
IBM Linux Technology Center