[openstack-dev] making the dev toolchain easier to bring together

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Nov 14 23:26:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:11 AM, Sean Dague <sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> This actually seems like a really bad idea to me. Up until this point the
> openstack code just relies on python code versions, which is good, as it
> makes no specific requirements on packagers on how they want to bundle this
> or the dependencies up (naming conventions, moving naming conventions,
> splitting packages, etc).

So at the moment we depend on non-python things, such as
libmysqlclient-dev, which:
 - are not documented
 - often mysterious for folk wanting to run tests

> I think that's good. openstack git is upstream and completely agnostic to
> packaging.

While those dependencies exist - that is, while the non-python
dependencies we have *exist at all*, we are not agnostic to packaging.
We're just mysterious and undocumented - and unautomatable.

> Devstack is an opinionated installer on a distro, which is why it has the
> package lists. Which is appropriate.

What problems do you see in having the actual dependencies documented,
and a tool to bridge that documentation to apt / rpm etc? How would
that be worse than the fact that we have Python dependencies, which
are also subject to arbitrary renames and alterations out of our
control.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>