[openstack-dev] [Nova] [baremetal] moving forward with baremetal reviews

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 15:52:37 UTC 2012

On Nov 9, 2012 7:39 AM, "Sean Dague" <sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> On 11/09/2012 05:10 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>>
>> Devananda van der Veen wrote:
>>>
>>> I am following up to today's lively discussion of how we can best get
>>> the baremetal driver into trunk. There was a fair bit of resistance from
>>> nova-core to the idea of merging the code right now. That said, I don't
>>> think having multiple teams developing something this large outside
>>> trunk is going to end well, and the discussion was left unresolved.
>>

>> Note that we have the (experimental) option of creating "feature
>> branches" in gerrit, like Keystone did for keystone-v3 stuff. This might
>> be an option to let you work collaboratively without borking master.
>

> The base patches for baremetal changes touch so many places in nova in
small ways that a feature branch is just going to mean continual rebase
ninjaing. I don't think that it's really worth the effort. Given that it's
often taken a while to respin the base patches in the first place, I don't
think that's really viable.

> Better to tackle those head long and just work them in the normal way.

I believe that only the first patch touches existing nova code. If that can
be merged soon, the rest should be much easier for us to work on.

-Deva