[openstack-dev] [Nova] [baremetal] moving forward with baremetal reviews

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 17:52:42 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Devananda van der Veen <
devananda.vdv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2012 7:39 AM, "Sean Dague" <sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > The base patches for baremetal changes touch so many places in nova in
> small ways that a feature branch is just going to mean continual rebase
> ninjaing. I don't think that it's really worth the effort. Given that it's
> often taken a while to respin the base patches in the first place, I don't
> think that's really viable.
> >
> > Better to tackle those head long and just work them in the normal way.
> >

> I believe that only the first patch touches existing nova code. If that
> can be merged soon, the rest should be much easier for us to work on.

So, now that the first patch has landed, I have rebased the other patches
and they've all passed jenkins and smoketest. Here is a summary of the
remaining work (*). Any feedback as far as what is needed to merge these
would be greatly appreciated.

These two patches add new functionality and don't touch any existing code.
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/10726/  -  Added separate bare-metal
MySQL DB
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11088/  -  Added pxe back-end bare-metal

This one replaces the old baremetal driver. The changes are contained in
nova/tests/baremetal/ and nova/virt/baremetal/, and it adds one file to
/etc/rootwrap.d/, but otherwise it does not touch anything else.
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11354/  -  Updated bare-metal
provisioning framework

This is a minor patch to add a new scheduler host manager class, which I am
hoping will be easily accepted.
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11357/  - Added bare-metal host manager

Regards,
Devananda

(*) There is one other baremetal patch on review,
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11366/, but we are working on significant
changes and will submit those separately.