[legal-discuss] Tracking Openstack Contributions

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Apr 30 19:50:58 UTC 2015

On 04/30/2015 08:58 PM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-04-30 at 14:42 -0400, Richard Fontana wrote:
>> I think this is outside the de facto remit of this mailing list but I
>> would suggest contacting Jonathan Bryce.
>
> My bad, I thought the question was interesting for a wider discussion on
> list.

I agree - I think it's an interesting topic.

> I've always assumed that for community generated content there was no
> retention policy and there could never be one: repositories come and go,
> you can't count on some software repository to always be available. So
> if you need it, you clone it because you can and the license allows you
> to.

Actually - I think it's worthwhile to point out that we do have a formal
policy about this.

The OpenStack project has never and will never delete a source code
repository, nor a commit from a source code repository. Once you have
uploaded a change to our system, it will be there for forever.

All of the data in stackalytics and activity.o.o is derived from gerrit,
and should something happen to either, reconstructing that data from the
original source is completely possible.

Also, as stef points out, stackalytics is not currently run by the
project, although we do have plans to move it under the umbrella. It
does, however, host its source code in stackforge. Also, it stores no
data locally - it has a memcached server for caching and otherwise
re-calculates all of its data on a regular basis directly from gerrit.