[legal-discuss] Tracking Openstack Contributions

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Apr 30 21:23:29 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-04-30 at 21:50 +0200, Monty Taylor wrote:
> Actually - I think it's worthwhile to point out that we do have a formal
> policy about this.
>
> The OpenStack project has never and will never delete a source code
> repository, nor a commit from a source code repository. Once you have
> uploaded a change to our system, it will be there for forever.

Forever is a strong word. Probably safer to say 'until the legal
organization exists and has money to pay for the hosting bills' or
something similar :)

Do you have a pointer to the promise not to delete repositories?

> All of the data in stackalytics and activity.o.o is derived from gerrit,
> and should something happen to either, reconstructing that data from the
> original source is completely possible.

Indeed. I guess the legal-ish issue is whether we should put a
disclaimer somewhere saying

        the data on [stackalytics|activity boars] is provided as-is with
        no promise that it is a) accurate b) will be there forever. We
        try our best keep the systems running, though. If you need
        specific SLAs follow the instructions to run the systems
        yourself.

Do we need to spell this out or leaving it implied is enough?

/stef