[legal-discuss] Appropriate use of OpenStack CCLA Schedule B...

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Tue Jul 8 01:58:24 UTC 2014

Hi Ted,

That is an interesting question. Does anyone know if the Schedule B
mechanism has been used before with corporate OpenStack contributions?
The idea (I think) is that the CCLA identifies a specific, and
presumably 'large', set of code that is covered by the CCLA (not to
the exclusion of other contributions).

In the ancestral Apache context, CCLAs are normally not signed at all,
and where they are I don't know whether 'Schedule B' (which exists in
the Apache CCLA too) has ever been used. When Red Hat sought in some
past cases to transfer substantial codebases to the ASF, we were
typically asked to sign a separate document called a 'Software
Grant'. (The term 'software grant' is also used in the CCLA Schedule
B.)

 - Richard