[legal-discuss] Fwd: need some advise on publicizing a translated version of openstack document.

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Jul 16 14:00:12 UTC 2014

Hi legal discussioners,
Can you comment on this question?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jaesuk Ahn <bluejay.ahn at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Subject: need some advise on publicizing a translated version of openstack
document.
To: Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org>, Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org>,
Openstack Users <openstack at lists.openstack.org>

HI Anne and Tom, and everyone here in this mailing list,

I do have one question, actually I am relaying a question from someone else
in Korea regarding publication of documents.
A professor in Korea did translate the entire openstack security-guide
document, and he wants to publish translated version as a book with some
price tag.
He wants to know if he can talk with OpenStack Foundation regarding this
commercial publication of OpenStack Document.

I told him Document has Creative Common License, and he just needs to
follow whatever CC license says.
However, if possible, we would like to have some help from you guys =.

First, we are not open source license experts. It is a bit tricky to know
what CC license exactly means when someone wants to publish “translated
version” of a openstack document.
Second, he wants to have an opinion form openstack foundation about
publication.

If you have experienced a similar situation with this one, could you give
us some hints or advise?
Thank you.

Jaesuk Ahn | Ph.D.
Senior Director | Co-Founder
cloud4u, Inc.

*… active member of openstack community *