[User-committee] Fwd: [Product] OpenStack Community Goals: need your feedback

Shamail Tahir itzshamail at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 17:21:14 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year!  We had a request from the TC to review the community goals
being considered for Pike[1].  The TC will be discussing this topic
today[2] and we have not had a chance to meet to discuss our input into the
process (due to the holidays).  I have added some feedback into the
community goals etherpad based on our existing user stories and
conversations we have had with operators at the past OpenStack operator
meetups.

As a reminder, community goals:

   - Should be able to be completed in a single release cycle
   - Should be something that all (or most) projects could follow (e.g.
   can't be anything specific to only a few projects)

Please let me know if we should add anything else for now... We should also
make this activity a recurring one for our team and proactively start
reviewing community goals (for feedback/input).

Additions to the community goals on behalf of PWG:
Line 90: Voiced support of enabling microversions across OpenStack services
(ties to UX around compatibility and discoverability)
Line 143: Voiced support for being able to make configuration changes with
minimal disruption
Line 245: +1'd making the work done for rolling upgrades more prevalent
across OpenStack services
Line 270: Added a section to provide input on additional possible goals
from PWG.  I scanned our user stories and the centralized configuration
options one jumped out at me.  It is something that would help the operator
UX and, at the same time, meetings the requirements for community goals
(could be single cycle and done across multiple projects).

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/community-goals
[2]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-tc/2017-January/001314.html

Thanks,