[User-committee] UC candidacy

Edgar Magana edgar.magana at workday.com
Fri Aug 4 16:32:00 UTC 2017

Dear OpenStack Community,

As you all know the User Committee is having elections this month and it will be my pleasure to continue contributing as member and as chair of this committee. I would like to self-nominate myself as candidate for the OpenStack User Committee.

I have been involved in the OpenStack community since early times. The first summit that I attended was in Santa Clara back in 2011. Since then, I have been very active in the community. I was part of the Neutron core team and also contributed to different projects from networking, devstack, nova and documentation.

Last year, the OpenStack Board of Directors appointed me as member of the User Committee. I was surprised at that moment how small was the impact of the users and operators community in the OpenStack governance. So, I decided to accept the appointment and to work hard with my peers to make the User Committee not an advising organization but a pillar of the decisions made for the future of the OpenStack Foundation.

Some of the achievements during my period in collaboration with the rest of my peers and friends have been, the change of the OpenStack Foundation bylaws to establish the User Committee not simply as an advising committee but as an enforcing one, the recognition of the users/operators community via the AUC (Active User Contributor) and last but not least the formal election of the User Committee members instead of the informal appointment process that we had until early this year.

All this work has been a collaboration effort. It is thanked to you all that we have a well-recognized committee helping to influence the future of our community and we shouldn’t feel like we are not part of it. However, there is still a lot of more work to do. I want to focus my self-nomination in what we can do in the future for users and operators.

We need to continue the work to guarantee the successful of our Working Groups and Teams. We have done the first step, document and approve the regulation for those organizations. We need to do a lot more to help WGs and Teams to be successful. I will focus my time as UC member in this task and the require work around it. We should close the gap between these teams and the connection with both the TC and the Board. UC should enable them but not a proxy for their communication.

During the last few years, we have been trying to close the gap between the UC and the TC. I strongly believe that we have done a terrific progress in that area but we could do more. I am really looking forward to working closely with the TC in order to guarantee that both teams have an efficient and productive working relationship to reach a high level of synergy in our decisions.

I want to continue our open collaboration culture. I want to help the users and operators community as well as the extend one to continue the best practices in openness and sharing practices. I want to work with the rest of the UC to prepare guidelines for new operators that are struggling in their companies that they work for to evangelize open-source culture within their organizations.

I want to do this because I have passion for OpenStack and for this community. Thank you for your consideration and I good luck to all the other candidates.

Best Regards,
Edgar Magana