[User-committee] [app] What is an App?

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Jul 25 16:42:52 UTC 2016

There is a healthy conversation happening on the mailing list, moving it
to an etherpad will likely stop the conversation, reduce the
participants to a limited few who know the URL and can make sense of all
the text in there.

On 07/25/2016 09:05 AM, Michael Krotscheck wrote:
> Please let me remind everyone that we're trying to frame and focus the
> activities of this working group. Our goal is to create a basic
> definition, one which can be refined in future discussions.

The summary of the conversation is that we there are two proposed
definitions of an OpenStack Application by the App Ecosystem Working Group:

	  * applications built using OpenStack SDK's or API's; or
	  * applications deployed atop OpenStack using Heat, Murano, or
	    3rd party deployment/management tools; or
	  * PaaS and container solutions running atop OpenStack

Alternative proposal:

	An OpenStack application is an application, toolset, or
	platform, that is built using, deployed atop, or that runs
	atop, OpenStack services, APIs, or SDKs.

Which one do we prefer?

/stef