[User-committee] [AppEco-WG] Some updates from me

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Fri Jul 15 19:28:32 UTC 2016

I'll be on leave next week and have a conflicting meeting the
following week.  Considering I was unable to join last week as well, I
wanted to give a quick update on the "hosted IRC client" spec that
I've been working on.

I got some useful feedback via review and will be submitting an update
later today to the spec at https://review.openstack.org/319506.
Broadly speaking at this point the effort just needs me (or someone
good with node.js ;) ) to plug in an auth path that authenticates
against a launchpad ID, and validates that ID is also in a
"whitelisted accounts" yaml.  I've been swamped with other efforts
lately but hope very much to circle back to this soon.  If anyone is
interested in taking a shot at this though, I'd be happy to share what
I know, and test/review.

Regarding the efforts on the First App tutorial, the great work that
has been committed so far is excellent for folks with an operator
perspective, as the approach invites applications that are intimately
coupled with the underlying cloud.  These types of apps are expected
to own the logic for scaling and provisioning additional resources -
the infra projects Zuul and nodepool are great examples of this kind
of app.  This model seems reasonable for enterprise applications that
serve specific/unique needs with embedded business logic. I don't see
these kinds of apps being something meant for consumption or
distribution to a wide audience however.

I'm excited to see Craig proposed "my first app" tutorials using Heat
and Murano.  I think these are significantly more valuable for general
app developers vs. where our efforts have been pointed so far.  A
tutorial pointing app devs towards tools that can provide a simple
abstraction layer above the underlying IaaS makes a lot of sense to
me, and can attract developers serving a broader user base (similar to
the applications you might see at https://sandstorm.io).

-Christopher