[User-committee] User Committee Meeting Monday

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Sat Dec 12 00:07:35 UTC 2015

On 12/11/2015 02:31 PM, Lauren Sell wrote:
> When we analyzed the latest user survey data, we looked at a demographic
> variable (user role, e.g. app developer), a firmographic variable (e.g.
> company size), and deployment stage. We learned that overall, there was
> no significant difference in NPS scores for people who identified with a
> specific function, such as app developers, or for companies by size.
[...]

that's all very clear from the survey report.  I'm still wondering what
this is supposed to mean though: how did the promoters/detractors
acquire 'openstack'? In other words, when they cast the 1-10 vote, what
are they exactly grading, what does openstack mean to them in such
context? Are they grading the open source project or their vendor?

A much better use of User Committee time would then be to read page
11-12 of the report and discuss those comments, instead of worrying
about a change in a number that has vague origins and is incomparable to
previous editions as you explain below.

> One cause for variance is that unfortunately we’re not comparing apples
> to apples with the trending data in the latest survey report.
[...]
> As a next step*, *the independent analyst plans to draw up
> correlations
[...]

I think this effort is a huge distraction: we have plenty of anecdotal
evidence from the survey of pain points, and we're using time in the
User Committee and Foundation to slice and dice a number that comes from
vague definitions.

In fact, I'd like to see more work to follow up with individual
interviews to 'detractors' to get actionable insights. For example, who
is this person saying that "Development   is   happening   at a  rapid
pace, [...]  but ‘productization’  is lagging". What's 'productization',
what exactly would that person like to see? Asking them will give us
more insights and things to do to improve the situation, if really needed.

Also, I'd like to see more focus on other data we already have from the
contributor and user community: are the quarterly reports with the
efficiency metrics in bugs and code contributions still being produced?
Knowing how fast are bugs being fixed and features added is much more
valuable than stretching an 'industry standard' to an open source project.

/stef