[User-committee] User Committee Meeting Monday

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Fri Dec 11 22:31:45 UTC 2015

To answer Jon’s question, NPS was added by request of several board members early last year.

Heidi Joy Tretheway has been the point of contact on our Foundation staff working with the independent analyst to produce the survey report. Unfortunately, she’s out this week and will be flying back Monday, so she won’t be able to join the meeting. In the meantime, she passed along a quick update which I will share here.

When we analyzed the latest user survey data, we looked at a demographic variable (user role, e.g. app developer), a firmographic variable (e.g. company size), and deployment stage. We learned that overall, there was no significant difference in NPS scores for people who identified with a specific function, such as app developers, or for companies by size. As a result, we didn’t do further data cuts on demographic/firmographic variables. We did learn that people with deployments in production tended to rate OpenStack more highly (NPS of 43 for production, vs 24 for dev/qa and 20 for POC). This is covered in the survey report, along with verbatim comments from respondents: https://www.openstack.org/assets/survey/Public-User-Survey-Report.pdf

One cause for variance is that unfortunately we’re not comparing apples to apples with the trending data in the latest survey report. Upon further review, the chart on the top right of page 9 is misleading, because the May 2015 responses are based on deployments only, while the September 2015 responses are from all survey respondents (not just deployments). Going forward, I think we should focus on deployments as our trend line. The independent analyst took a first pass at comparing NPS results from the last three surveys (with V3 being Sept 2015, V2 being May 2015 and V1 being October 2014), and shared the table below. These are INITIAL findings, but I wanted to share the direction, and we may need to update page 9 in the report.

As a next step, the independent analyst plans to draw up correlations (particularly for low scores) associated with particular technology decisions (e.g. projects or tools) and attitudinal data from the “your thoughts” section (e.g. we might find that firms that value X highly tend to rate OpenStack lowest). We might also want to take the opposite approach and look at why the NPS score seemed to pop in April 2015. With the holiday schedule, I imagine it will be January before we can deliver more data. In the meantime, if you have any thoughts on that approach or specific questions / comparisons you’d like to see, please speak up.

Cheers,
Lauren