[User-committee] FW: [openstack] - [New Idea] - Automatically track non-engineering ATCs

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Mar 8 22:26:11 UTC 2013

http://ask.openstack.org (still not 100% functional, it may still break).

> - a user should be able to state a problem without defining a
> solution

this sounds like a question, easy for Ask to handle it

> - other users should be able to state their support (or disagreement)
> via votes and comments

answers can be voted and commented. Questions and answers can also be
edited so they become references

> - it should be possible to group problems together to construct the
> areas of interest for the community

We can establish a tag or a category for 'ideas' and group them together

> - reporting tools should allow easy extraction of priorities (with
> breakdown by industry/geography as available)

we can work on this with askbot developers. The tool is open source, a
django app so adding a reporting module should not be too difficult. We
can also work on an interoperability with Launchpad, so that when we
have a nice definition of a feature and enough votes/support for it we
can hit a button and create a blueprint from it automatically.

> There are substantial functionality gaps between a q&a system and a
> requirements gathering tool.

Sure, there are gaps, I understand. On the other hand, adding more tools
adds complexity for newcomers and things to manage/pay attention for
established members of the community. I think it would be better if we
can hack processes around Ask OpenStack to support a feedback-gathering
mechanism.

/stef