[User-committee] FW: [openstack] - [New Idea] - Automatically track non-engineering ATCs

Joshua McKenty joshua at pistoncloud.com
Fri Mar 8 23:17:00 UTC 2013

I'd like to emphasize that using the same tool for developers, and users,
is probably not ideal. Again, the Launchpad workflow is optimized for the
SOLUTION side - feedback, or user feature requests, aren't QUESTIONS. The
key feature of products such as ideascale and uservoice is actually their
duplicate detection and merging, which allows you to keep the community
discussions focused and relevant - these are hard features to develop.

The only feature that uservoice has which might put it above ideascale, is
a voting-constrained system - each user has a total of 10 votes, and they
can "spend" a maximum of 3 votes on any idea. Votes are freed up when the
idea is either accepted, or rejected. The scarcity and flexibility has been
shown to produce much more discerning feedback than a simple "thumbs up"
mechanism.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org>wrote:

> On Fri 08 Mar 2013 01:14:33 PM PST, Tim Bell wrote:
>
>> Is there a demo of 'ask' anywhere ?
>>

> http://ask.openstack.org (still not 100% functional, it may still break).
>

>  - a user should be able to state a problem without defining a
>> solution
>>

> this sounds like a question, easy for Ask to handle it
>

>  - other users should be able to state their support (or disagreement)
>> via votes and comments
>>

> answers can be voted and commented. Questions and answers can also be
> edited so they become references
>

>  - it should be possible to group problems together to construct the
>> areas of interest for the community
>>

> We can establish a tag or a category for 'ideas' and group them together
>

>  - reporting tools should allow easy extraction of priorities (with
>> breakdown by industry/geography as available)
>>

> we can work on this with askbot developers. The tool is open source, a
> django app so adding a reporting module should not be too difficult. We
> can also work on an interoperability with Launchpad, so that when we have a
> nice definition of a feature and enough votes/support for it we can hit a
> button and create a blueprint from it automatically.
>

>  There are substantial functionality gaps between a q&a system and a
>> requirements gathering tool.
>>

> Sure, there are gaps, I understand. On the other hand, adding more tools
> adds complexity for newcomers and things to manage/pay attention for
> established members of the community. I think it would be better if we can
> hack processes around Ask OpenStack to support a feedback-gathering
> mechanism.
>
> /stef

Joshua McKenty, CTO
Piston Cloud Computing, Inc.
w: (650) 24-CLOUD
m: (650) 283-6846
http://www.pistoncloud.com

"Oh, Westley, we'll never survive!"
"Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has."