[Product] proposal for expediting bug fixes

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Tue Sep 29 01:16:16 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Armando M. <armamig at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 September 2015 at 17:40, Kyle Mestery <mestery at mestery.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 5:03 PM, <Arkady_Kanevsky at dell.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Problem: Currently bug fixes take a long time especially for previous
>>> releases.
>>>

> It seems that that a more fundamental problem is not even acknowledged
> here: sometimes bug reports/fix proposal are lacking the most basic
> information to get them reproduced/triaged/reviewed and that in itself can
> be a very painful process to go through.
>
> Therefore putting artificial deadlines/workflow in place is unrealistic:
> what if the bug reporters/submitters disappear, what if the bug/fix
> languish for other reasons?
>
> I am not saying that we should leave this as is, but putting an artificial
> process in place is not going to yield the results that you would hope. A
> better solution is to educate the community members through good examples
> and good practices and measuring how a project community does over time.

I agree 100% with you here. But I don't want you to miss the point where
the proposal appears to mandate and anoint a section of people who will
effectively be allowed to bless code going in, while completely ignoring
the fact we have such a system in place (they're called core reviewers). To
me, this is the most egregious oversight of this proposal.

>> This proposal has multiple problems which I'll address below. But the
>> biggest issue is it appears to try and "anoint" people into a certain role.
>> This goes against Open Source philosophies, you have to show up and do the
>> legwork to get that sort of recognition. You can't force this onto project
>> teams. See below for specific issues with this proposal.
>>

>>> Proposal:
>>>
>>> 1.       For each project Product WG identify a couple of people ( at
>>> least 3 overall to handle vacations and a like) among its member companies
>>> who will have responsibility to review submitted bug fixes (for all
>>> releases) within 1 day
>>>

>> Are you saying that for each code submission for a bug fix, you want
>> these people to review the code within one day? What type of review? And if
>> it's a simple +1 review, it won't be helpful. There is no timetable for how
>> long a bug takes to land, the code review is only part of the process. The
>> submitter has to iterate, the gate has to digest the change, etc.
>>

>>> 2.       These people will be added automatically as reviewers for each
>>> bug patch submission.
>>>
>>> a.       Need some help with tool people to automatically add these
>>> people as reviewers for newly filed bugs
>>>

>> Why do you want to automatically add people to these reviews? We have
>> gerrit dashboards which they can use to do this themselves.
>>

>>> 3.       Once a patch has two +1 ones from these reviewers and no -1s
>>> from anybody else, project PTL or project designated bug tsar will merge it