[Openstack] qemu version for OpenStack Icehouse

Bernd Bausch berndbausch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 01:21:23 UTC 2018

The problem is not the qemu version, but the image file version. More recently, qcow3 seems to be used; Icehouse probably uses qcow2.

I think you have a number of options.

The easiest approach might be converting the image to qcow2:

https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/84506/how-to-convert-qcow3-image-to-qcow2/

Or convert it to raw. Main inconvenience is the increased size.

Or create a volume from the image, and on the destination system, boot from the volume and snapshot the instance to create an image again.