[Openstack] qemu version for OpenStack Icehouse

Georgios Dimitrakakis giorgis at acmac.uoc.gr
Wed Feb 14 22:28:20 UTC 2018

 Dear all,

 I am trying to build a Windows image on a rather new Ubuntu system
 which image would be imported and used on an old OpenStack Icehouse
 installation.

 The system on which I am building it has the following characteristics:

 Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
 Release:	16.04
 Codename:	xenial
 Kernel:         4.4.0-112-generic

 and the installed QEMU packages are:

 ii  qemu-block-extra:amd64                     1:2.5+dfsg-5ubuntu10.20
                    amd64        extra block backend modules for
 qemu-system and qemu-utils
 ii  qemu-kvm                                   1:2.5+dfsg-5ubuntu10.20
                    amd64        QEMU Full virtualization
 ii  qemu-system-common                         1:2.5+dfsg-5ubuntu10.20
                    amd64        QEMU full system emulation binaries
 (common files)
 ii  qemu-system-x86                            1:2.5+dfsg-5ubuntu10.20
                    amd64        QEMU full system emulation binaries
 (x86)
 ii  qemu-utils                                 1:2.5+dfsg-5ubuntu10.20
                    amd64        QEMU utilities

 The error that I am getting whey I try to launch the VM is the
 following:

 'ProcessExecutionError: Unexpected error while running
 command.\nCommand: env LC_ALL=C LANG=C qemu-img info
 /var/lib/nova/instances/_base/ae8e48565dd0b934afe98a17febc0660077d7e35.part\nExit
 code: 1\nStdout: \'\'\nStderr: "\'image\' uses a qcow2 feature which is
 not supported by this qemu version: QCOW version 3\\nCould not open
 \'/var/lib/nova/instances/_base/ae8e48565dd0b934afe98a17febc0660077d7e35.part\':
 Operation not supported\\n"\n'

 Using the same image on a newer OpenStack Ocata installation works fine
 and the VM boots up and works without a problem.

 Obviously there is a version mismatch and something on this image is
 not supported by OpenStack Icehouse.

 Do you know where the problem could be? Is there a way to build it with
 backwards compatibility or can someone point out to me the latest
 versions that would work with OpenStack Icehouse?

 Unfortunately for the moment it's not possible to upgrade OpenStack. We
 will in the next few months but for the moment is important to have it
 working.

 Looking forward for your answers!

 Best regards,

 G.