[Openstack] Fwd: (no subject)

Ignazio Cassano ignaziocassano at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 17:05:27 UTC 2015

1 You are not obbligate to use object storage: it can be used to store
operating system images, volumes backup . The default openstack
installation does not put anything in object storage: by default glance
stores images on controller node.

2 I do not understand your question

3 For object storage (swft) look above (1). As far as cinder is concerned,
if you do not install it, disk volumes are sored on computing nodes but you
lose them when you terminate an instance ( this is called ephemeral storage)

4.Usually  in images "cloudinit" is used: when you create an instance from
the ubuntu image, a user called "ubuntu" is created with a ssh key you
stored in your user on dashboard or you can set a user with a password
using user-data in dashboard

5 look at documentation: in network nodes configuration files you must
specify  the controller node address

6 In openstack object store (swift) can contains volumes backup and
instance images.Generally speaking in object store you can put photos,
music (see file cloud services like amazon s3). Cinder is bock storage and
stores operating system disks (like your labtop hard disk). If you start an
instance from dashboard and you specify to use an image and create a
volume, the image you specified is downloaded into a cinder volume.In this
case if you terminate the instance, you do not lose data because the volume
is not removed and you can start another instance from it

7 Sorry for my bad english :-)

Ignazio