[Openstack] which image format you use for qemu?

Robert van Leeuwen Robert.vanLeeuwen at spilgames.com
Tue Jul 8 07:28:09 UTC 2014

After some benchmarking with random write loads we decided to go for RAW for a subset of hypervisors.
These hypervisors run only flavors for heavy IO workloads (databases).

On SSDs I noticed a performance increase (IOPS) for RAW vs QCOW of a factor 8-10.
I was somewhat surprised by the difference.
There might be something fishy in our setup because the general consensus seems to be QCOW should not
impact performance that much.
Maybe it has something to do with SSDs or because we have no RAID controllers with caching..

For us, with QCOW, the hypervisor seem to be limited by (also) doing lots of reads when writing.
( I'm running CentOS. )

I'd do some performance testing for your expected workload.
Starting a vm and doing a fio benchmark is not that time intensive :)

Cheers,
Robert van Leeuwen