[Openstack] [glance] legacy client removal and python-glanceclient

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 05:06:10 UTC 2012

On 08/01/2012 12:49 AM, Matt Joyce wrote:
> I think we're running out of opportunities to do stuff like this.
>
> This is exactly the sort of thing that will drive George Reese into a
> homocidal rage.  More to the point its exactly the sort of thing our
> users are going to despise us for.  And that hatred will outlive any
> benefit.
>
> Users only remember the bad stuff.  We need to soften the blow on stuff
> like this.  Hell we need to actively work our asses off to prevent stuff
> like this.
>
> You know it, but it needs to be said on list.  Because people are going
> to complain that we didn't think.

I don't disagree with you. At the same time, I think Brian has a good
point when he compares having two versions of SQLAlchemy installed on a
system: it just doesn't make much sense.

One option that may alleviate some of this pain is documentation --
making a page that says things to the effect of:

Hey, you probably got to this documentation page because you Googled for
"glance error argument: invalid choice: 'index' ...". Let us show you
what this means and what you need to change.

1) This has happened because either you installed the new version of the
Glance client or you upgraded a system like Horizon which may depend on
a newer version of the Glance client

2) The interface for Glance client has been improved, but that means a
few changes. Most notably, where you were used to doing:

glance index

you now need to do:

glance image-list

Where you were used to doing:

glance add disk_format=qcow2 container_format=bare is_public=True <
/path/to/my.img

you now need to do:

glance image-create --disk-format=qcow2 --container-format=bare --public
< /path/to/my.img

These changes were made to align the Glance client with the other
OpenStack core project clients. We hope these changes will actually make
querying the OpenStack Images API much more similar to the Compute,
Identity and Network APIs, which follow similar client calling patterns.
Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Best,
-jay