[Openstack-track-chairs] Call for Speakers Feedback, Next Steps

Anni Lai Anni.Lai at huawei.com
Wed Dec 9 22:01:10 UTC 2015

I agree with Niki's view. In addition, I'd like to add the following suggestions -

1. We should make our summit not just a place for OpenStack veterans to share their insights and experiences, but also a welcoming place for newbies to share their new ideas without feeling being judged or the barrier to entry. So, I'd like to suggest we allocate a portion of the sessions for speakers who never spoke before and topics that were never discussed before.
2. Panels are really fun and informative. It looks like we generally have good attendance for panel sessions.  Maybe we should require minimum 2 panels/track and invite folks who submitted but didn't get selected as speakers to join the panels. In that case, more people can have stage time.
3. Definitely "yes" on maximum 3 submissions/person (including panels). In this case, we can give stage time to more people. Again, my view is that our events should be more open, more inclusive, and not just limit them to veterans. This is the only way we can generate new ideas, new innovations.

Also, this is not really track-chair related; it has more to do with event management. I noticed that in Tokyo, some popular sessions were assigned to a small room with a huge overflow, and some sessions were given a big room with no more than 30% occupancy. I guess people generally didn't  RSVP ahead of time and decided to check out sessions in the last minute. I suggest maybe we should enforce that people who RSVP'ed will be guaranteed to get in, and people who didn't RSVP will have to wait in line at the door. This means we will need to scan badge and check at the door. This might help us with more accurate room assignment. In addition, it will give us data points on who attended what sessions, what topics are popular, etc. for future reference.

Just my $0.02,

Anni

[cid:image001.png at 01CBC2CC.A2FB0D70]
Anni Lai