[Openstack-track-chairs] the meaning of the 'How to contribute' track

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Sat Aug 15 02:09:49 UTC 2015

On 15/08/15 01:20, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> I had a hard time finding a subject for this message :)

^_^

Some fast responses in-line without wading in too deep.

> I noticed today that a few tracks were moved to "How to contribute" that
> I believe are not "How to", but nevertheless are great content I'd like
> to see in the final agenda.
>
> My interpretation of "How to contribute" track's mission has been to
> generate practical content to be reused during multiple cycles as added
> documentation on how to get code, documentation, user stories,
> translations, etc in OpenStack. Am I wrong in this interpretation?
>
> With that mission in mind, this talk doesn't fit "How To Contribute" but
> it's very valuable content IMHO:
>
> The Critic as a Contributor: Comparing community review processes
> http://www.openstack.org/track-chairs/#presentations/show/6572
>
> But the topic of the talk is about the issues OpenStack has with review
> times. The author has already talked about this topic before, compared
> with Linux kernel and he's going to present updated results of the
> analysis. I think it's a conversation worth having in the community.
>
> While this talk is not a fit for How To Contribute, I think it should be
> in Tokyo.

Agree that this one is probably better in Community than How To Contribute.

> The other track I think doesn't fit in How To is the story of the 16
> year old, high-school kids that became ATCs:
>
> Youngest OpenStackers?! +2 for the community!
> http://www.openstack.org/track-chairs/#presentations/show/6038
>
> While I think this doesn't fit the How To mission, this is aspirational
> content that I'd probably watch.

This one could work in How To Contribute. From the abstract, it seems
that they are walking through some of the practical steps of
contribution: Learning developer tools, bug filing, review process.

That they're doing this by example of their experience, and not
following or aiming to create some dry document or process isn't a
problem from my perspective :)

Additionally, the social aspect of how to become a contributor is worthy
of exploration - they are talking about a practical process (internship
program) by which they achieved contributor status.