[Openstack-track-chairs] the meaning of the 'How to contribute' track

Stefano Maffulli stefano.maffulli at dreamhost.com
Fri Aug 14 17:20:16 UTC 2015

I had a hard time finding a subject for this message :)

I noticed today that a few tracks were moved to "How to contribute" that
I believe are not "How to", but nevertheless are great content I'd like
to see in the final agenda.

My interpretation of "How to contribute" track's mission has been to
generate practical content to be reused during multiple cycles as added
documentation on how to get code, documentation, user stories,
translations, etc in OpenStack. Am I wrong in this interpretation?

With that mission in mind, this talk doesn't fit "How To Contribute" but
it's very valuable content IMHO:

The Critic as a Contributor: Comparing community review processes
http://www.openstack.org/track-chairs/#presentations/show/6572

But the topic of the talk is about the issues OpenStack has with review
times. The author has already talked about this topic before, compared
with Linux kernel and he's going to present updated results of the
analysis. I think it's a conversation worth having in the community.

While this talk is not a fit for How To Contribute, I think it should be
in Tokyo.

The other track I think doesn't fit in How To is the story of the 16
year old, high-school kids that became ATCs:

Youngest OpenStackers?! +2 for the community!
http://www.openstack.org/track-chairs/#presentations/show/6038

While I think this doesn't fit the How To mission, this is aspirational
content that I'd probably watch.

So I have two questions:

 - Why did you move these two tracks?
 - If you keep them in your track (I think it's coming from "Community"
but I may be wrong), will you accept them in the program?

thanks,
stef