[openstack-tc] Selecting the Pike PTL (and TC?) election officials

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Dec 7 09:55:21 UTC 2016

Tony Breeds wrote:
>     With the shorter cycle it's probably time to start looking for Pike
> election officials.  I think it's reasonable to say that the current officials
> would be willing to serve again but it's certainly appropriate for the TC to
> consider the size and diversity of this group of people.
>
> For the record I intend to run again for a PTL position and would not be
> offended if the TC felt that excluded me from being an election official.
>
> It has been an honor to be trusted by the TC in this role.

Thanks Tony for starting this thread.

Since we'll be running 4 election cycles over the coming year, I think
there is an opportunity for rotating officials and avoiding overlap
between officials and candidates in each election. I'm pretty sure
everybody has the strongest trust in Tony, but it kind of sets a bad
precedent... Of course if we don't have that many candidates then we
should continue with the current set of people :)

Another question is whether we want to implement changes in the election
process for the upcoming PTL election. In particular, the exact timing
of the self-nomination period, and whether we should have a
"campaigning" period between nomination closure and election. We changed
the charter to give election officials some flexibility there.

Personally I think we could have a slightly longer self-nomination
period, a few days between nominations closure and voting start
(especially for the TC election), and an in-week voting period.
Something like:

Nomination open Monday 1
Nomination close Wednesday 10
Election starts Monday 15
Election closes Friday 19

Once we have a set of officials for the election, this should probably
be a specific thread on the -dev ML rather than a discussion here.