[Openstack-operators] [doc] Operations Guide removal

Alexandra Settle a.settle at outlook.com
Tue Jul 18 12:52:48 UTC 2017

    Please forgive my naivete here - I am quite new to OpenStack and as such to the community. I have found that in this project as well as in others, old documentation
..  can be surprisingly useful, especially when marked with a date or version.

We completely agree with you here, which is why we are attempting to give this document back to the operations community. This does, however, mean a small amount of downtime.

    I recognise that volunteer time is limited, and am interested to see how the new ideas for documentation will go. At the same time, significantly reduced access to
    documentation - yes, even outdated, orphaned documentation - will make life more difficult for this new operator. If the decision is fixed and there is no will to avoid
    an outage in this manner, then I guess that is about all I can say.

We also completely agree with you here too. However, one of the many discussions that has continuously come up on ML and during summit and design conference sessions is that our operators find it difficult to contribute to the documentation as is. Our method of treating documentation like code does not suit all, so this is in part an attempt to solve that problem. This does mean that along the way, we are going to have some downtime. But the end goal is to allow our operators to access documentation to be able to update more easily and frequently – hopefully to help future, new, operators like yourself.

The decision has been made, per say. But we hope that this new solution will prove to be fruitful :)

    I will say a word of thanks to you and all of the contributors to the documentation so far. It is critical to anyone starting to use such a massive set of software. I hope
    that the migration to wiki arrangements is smooth and successful.

So far, so good! Thanks for your note, Greg :) please reach out with any concerns or questions you may have. I’m on IRC as “asettle” or easily contactable via email if that suits you best :)