[Openstack-operators] [OpenStack-docs] [doc] Operations Guide removal

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 10:40:25 UTC 2017

Hi Alex,

I just managed to take a half hour to look at this and have a few
questions/comments towards making a plan for how to proceed with
moving the Ops Guide content to the wiki...

1) Need to define wiki location and structure. Curiously at the moment
there is already meta content at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/OpsGuide, Maybe the
content could live at https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpsGuide? I
think it makes sense to follow the existing structure with possible
exception of culling wrong / very-out-of-date content (but perhaps
anything like that should be done as a later step and keep it simple
aiming for a "like-for-like" migration to start with)...?

2) Getting the content into the wiki. Looks like there is no obvious
up-to-date RST import functionality for MediaWiki. Pandoc seems as
though it might support some useful conversions but I didn't try this
yet and don't have any experience with it - can anyone say with
authority whether it is worth pursuing?

3) Future management - obvious can of worms given this is much better
addressed by all the tooling and scaffolding the docs team already
provides around the repos... but nonetheless some expectations may
need to be set upfront to avoid future pain.

Cheers,

On 15 July 2017 at 01:48, Alexandra Settle <a.settle at outlook.com> wrote:
> Hi operators,
>
> Please be aware that I have proposed the following patch:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/483937/
>

> This removes the Operations Guide from the openstack-manuals repo and will
> no longer be accessible via docs.openstack.org after the patch merges.
>
> The documentation team does not have the resources to move the ops guide to
> the wiki ourselves. If you are able to work on the migration, please check
> out the ‘before-migration’ tag in the repo to access the deleted content.
> [0]
>
> Once the ops guide is migrated to the wiki, we will help you add a redirect
> so that the old link on docs.openstack.org will allow users to find the
> content in the new location.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex
>

> [0] https://github.com/openstack/openstack-manuals/tree/before-migration