[Openstack-operators] Using Openstack-ansible to deploy hosts on mutliple br-vxlan/br-vlan/br-provider/br-mgmt l3 networks

Dan Sneddon dsneddon at redhat.com
Tue Nov 15 20:17:17 UTC 2016

On 11/15/2016 09:38 AM, bpetit at b0rk.in wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to deploy OpenStack (newton) on multiple management,
> overlay and vlan/uplink l3 networks, thanks to Openstack-Ansible.
> In other words, I would like to deploy Openstack on multiple compute
> and controller nodes that are on different subnets, assuming I do the
> routing configuration to permit to management network 1 to communicate
> with management network n, overlay network 1 to overlay network n, etc...
>
> I attached a sample schema to illustrate my statement.
>
> To sum up, in this case a compute or controller node which is on
> management network 10.0.1.0/24 via br-mgmt can communicate with br-mgmt
> of another compute node on management network 10.1.1.0/24. The same is
> true from overlay network 10.0.2.0/24 to overlay network 10.1.2.0/24,
> etc...
>
> Am I wrong if I understand that OSA is designed to handle only 1
> mangement subnet, 1 overlay subnet, etc... (storage subnet, ...) ?
>
> During my tests, specifying compute hosts in different networks, in
> openstack_user_config.yml, results in the apparently correct setup of
> the compute host "compute3" (Having previously setup correct static
> route on each hypervisors):
>
> compute_hosts:
>   compute1:
>     ip: 10.0.1.4
>   compute2:
>     ip: 10.0.1.5
>   compute3:
>     ip: 10.1.1.4
>
> However, how to deal with it in cidr_networks: ? (I assume I can't
> now). During my tests, an example of what's lacking was that I had to
> manually configure static routes in the neutron_agents_container lxc
> provisionned by OSA.
>
> Is that kind of deployment possible ? If not possible, is this or could
> this be in the roadmap of the project ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Benoit Petit

As far as I know, OSA does not currently provide documented support for
deploying on a routed network topology. I haven't seen anything hinting
that was in the works, but I haven't been following OSA very closely.
The OpenStack components all support this topology, so I wouldn't be
surprised if you could hack something together which would work acceptably.

I am currently working on support for routed network deployments in
TripleO, and I am very interested in learning about other projects
which are working toward the same goal. There may be opportunities for
collaboration or code reuse.

Is anyone aware of any tools which will semi-automatically deploy and
configure OpenStack on a routed management network (with routed overlay
and other networks) like the OP is asking for?

--
Dan Sneddon         |  Senior Principal OpenStack Engineer
dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/openstack