[Openstack-operators] Using Openstack-ansible to deploy hosts on mutliple br-vxlan/br-vlan/br-provider/br-mgmt l3 networks

bpetit at b0rk.in bpetit at b0rk.in
Tue Nov 15 17:38:49 UTC 2016

Hi,

I would like to deploy OpenStack (newton) on multiple management,
overlay and vlan/uplink l3 networks, thanks to Openstack-Ansible.
In other words, I would like to deploy Openstack on multiple compute and
controller nodes that are on different subnets, assuming I do the
routing configuration to permit to management network 1 to communicate
with management network n, overlay network 1 to overlay network n,
etc...

I attached a sample schema to illustrate my statement.

To sum up, in this case a compute or controller node which is on
management network 10.0.1.0/24 via br-mgmt can communicate with br-mgmt
of another compute node on management network 10.1.1.0/24. The same is
true from overlay network 10.0.2.0/24 to overlay network 10.1.2.0/24,
etc...

Am I wrong if I understand that OSA is designed to handle only 1
mangement subnet, 1 overlay subnet, etc... (storage subnet, ...) ?

During my tests, specifying compute hosts in different networks, in
openstack_user_config.yml, results in the apparently correct setup of
the compute host "compute3" (Having previously setup correct static
route on each hypervisors):

compute_hosts:
   compute1:
     ip: 10.0.1.4
   compute2:
     ip: 10.0.1.5
   compute3:
     ip: 10.1.1.4

However, how to deal with it in cidr_networks: ? (I assume I can't now).
During my tests, an example of what's lacking was that I had to manually
configure static routes in the neutron_agents_container lxc provisionned
by OSA.

Is that kind of deployment possible ? If not possible, is this or could
this be in the roadmap of the project ?

Thanks,

Benoit Petit