[OpenStack-Infra] Remove placeholder hiera defaults commits

Spencer Krum krum.spencer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 00:47:27 UTC 2015

Paul,

The hiera defaults were there to allow the apply test to work. Since
Jonathan added a sed command to the apply test, they are no longer needed.

The defaults always were a code smell, they presented the issue that if a
hiera key was not found, some parameter would be set to a publicly known
string. Imagine if this had been a password!

If you look at the apply test I think you can find the sed commands we use
to add back in hiera defaults. I hope that can help.

Thanks
Spencer

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 5:22 PM, Paul Belanger <pabelanger at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I was hoping somebody could explain the reasoning behind the remove of
> hiera
> defaults in system-config?  The commit title in question is 'Remove
> placeholder
> hiera defaults'.
>
> If you are not aware, this patch has currently broken my testing
> environments,
> as I currently don't setup hiera (actually unneeded until now).
> Additionally, I
> haven't been keeping up with the in tree hiera conversion, but currently
> cannot
> find a sane hiera yaml file for testing enviornments. Could somebody please
> point me to the location?
>
> Hopefully this is just an oversight and somebody will be able to help me
> testing
> without having to install hiera.
>
> ---
>   $ sudo puppet apply --modulepath=/etc/puppet/modules:modules
> manifests/site.pp --certname=stackalytics.openstack.org
>   Error: Could not find data item stackalytics_ssh_private_key_contents in
> any Hiera data file and no default supplied at
> /home/ubuntu/system-config/manifests/site.pp:144 on node
> stackalytics.openstack.org
>   Error: Could not find data item stackalytics_ssh_private_key_contents in
> any Hiera data file and no default supplied at
> /home/ubuntu/system-config/manifests/site.pp:144 on node
> stackalytics.openstack.org

Spencer Krum
(619)-980-7820