[OpenStack-Infra] Remove placeholder hiera defaults commits

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Wed Oct 28 01:30:29 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 05:47:27PM -0700, Spencer Krum wrote:
> Paul,
>
> The hiera defaults were there to allow the apply test to work. Since
> Jonathan added a sed command to the apply test, they are no longer needed.
>
> The defaults always were a code smell, they presented the issue that if a
> hiera key was not found, some parameter would be set to a publicly known
> string. Imagine if this had been a password!
>
> If you look at the apply test I think you can find the sed commands we use
> to add back in hiera defaults. I hope that can help.

Repling here to keep the disussion going (I also posted something into irc).  My
concern about just using sed, seems to add an unneeded step into the process.

What I would much rather see us do is include a working hieradata folder, with
dummy data, which then allows the user to pass the hiera_config flag to puppet
apply.

Something long the lines of:

# hiera_config file
tools/hiera.yaml
---
:backends:
  - yaml
:yaml:
  :datadir: tools/hieradata
:hierarchy:
  - common

# default hiera data holder
tools/hieradata/common.yaml
---
stackalytics_ssh_private_key_contents: 'XXX'

sudo puppet apply --modulepath=/etc/puppet/modules:modules manifests/site.pp \
--certname=stackalytics.openstack.org --hiera_config tools/hiera.yaml

This would again allow somebody to consume site.pp, using hiera data, without
the need to create their own version of site.pp for testing or use sed.

NOTE: I was just linked this[1] before sending, however wanted still wanted to
send this email to continue discussions.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/206779/