[OpenStack-Infra] IRC op team

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Thu Jan 2 16:02:05 UTC 2014

Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> writes:

> Hi!
>
> There have been a few channel trolling situations in the past (in
> European mornings) where nobody present on the channel could solve the
> situation, and it made us look a bit bad.
>
> Current IRC chanserv op rights are limited to the infra-root team (4
> people in the US, 3 of them on the west coast), while this is a
> relatively low-trust task for which geographic coverage and IRC presence
> should be the defining factor.

It was never the intent that ops should be limited to this team.
However, we deal with requests for changes to channels nearly every day,
and this really needs to be automated (as you mention below)...

> In the short term, since adding ops is a slightly painful process, I'd
> like to suggest we add one person in Europe and one in India/China to
> that team to improve our op coverage. I'm volunteering for the Europe
> position. I've started using IRC in 1993, if that counts as experience,
> and I'm firmly entrenched in Europe CET :)

Under the circumstances, this seems reasonable.  Is there a volunteer in
APAC?  What channels would you like to cover?

> Once we get the channel-configuring bot up and running, we can add more
> people to that specific team, and also fine-tune the rights associated
> with every single person (most people will just need op/akick/quiet for
> channel policing).

We filed this bug a while ago:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ci/+bug/1190296

The intent is that with that, we can say that alice should have ops on
openstack-foo, and bob should have ops on openstack-bar, and changes to
this go through code review like anything else.

If someone has the ability and time to work on this, please volunteer
now, otherwise I will start on it soon since the relative urgency has
increased.

> While we are at it, we should also try to get an "openstack" Freenode
> group set up, if they ever reopen them. That would allow us to control
> #openstack* channels, and also to give out shiny openstack cloaks. Perl
> coders out there might be interested in speeding that up by helping out
> on http://dev.freenode.net/GMS development :)

We have tried asking nicely, but so far the freenode ops haven't been
accommodating.

-Jim