[OpenStack-Infra] IRC op team

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jan 2 15:30:54 UTC 2014

Hi!

There have been a few channel trolling situations in the past (in
European mornings) where nobody present on the channel could solve the
situation, and it made us look a bit bad.

Current IRC chanserv op rights are limited to the infra-root team (4
people in the US, 3 of them on the west coast), while this is a
relatively low-trust task for which geographic coverage and IRC presence
should be the defining factor.

In the short term, since adding ops is a slightly painful process, I'd
like to suggest we add one person in Europe and one in India/China to
that team to improve our op coverage. I'm volunteering for the Europe
position. I've started using IRC in 1993, if that counts as experience,
and I'm firmly entrenched in Europe CET :)

Once we get the channel-configuring bot up and running, we can add more
people to that specific team, and also fine-tune the rights associated
with every single person (most people will just need op/akick/quiet for
channel policing).

While we are at it, we should also try to get an "openstack" Freenode
group set up, if they ever reopen them. That would allow us to control
#openstack* channels, and also to give out shiny openstack cloaks. Perl
coders out there might be interested in speeding that up by helping out
on http://dev.freenode.net/GMS development :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)