[OpenStack-Infra] Week-end project

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Dec 17 14:37:28 UTC 2013

On 12/17/2013 04:25 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Mathew R Odden wrote:
>> Not to hijack the topic, but I have a team of university students that I
>> am looking for an OpenStack related blueprint/project for them to work
>> on. I think this would be something that wouldn't be too hard for them
>> to jump into and achieve some results for the duration of their team
>> project.
>>
>> I also think it would be an extremely useful utility for managing the
>> growing amount of meetings.
>
> I think that would be a good project for them (limited scope,
> self-contained), unless you want them to get familiar with OpenStack
> itself (rather than our development infrastructure).
>
> They might need mentoring though, especially to understand
> gerrit/zuul/jobs which is a pretty essential part of the process (check
> jobs to check availability and file syntax, post-merge jobs to refresh
> the ICS and get it published in human-readable fashion). I can help as
> the "customer" expressing feature requests, but can't spend too much
> time mentoring.
>
> Let us know if they grab it so that we don't spend more time on it.

I think it's a great idea.

I think there are 2 approaches that I see being fruitful, depending on
the kind of problem the team is going after.

1) the yaml -> ical converter.

Bulk of invention is going to be on the converter, especially
translating into ical recurrance rules. Also will probably want / need
to build an HTML UI for the end result so people can actually see it on
a webpage as well.

2) drupal + calendar + workflow

I was actually thinking about what ttx said about no tool existing out
there to be able to take calendar updates into an approval queue. I
think you could actually build that pretty easily with drupal base site
(logins connected to lp openid) + calendar modules + workflow module
(that allows for approval queues on changes).

Different set of things to learn (more on the drupal side), however the
advantages would be that a lot of the UI and ical bits would be handled
already.

I've got experience both ways, so hit me up on irc with questions on
either approach.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague