[OpenStack-Infra] Week-end project

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Dec 19 10:58:11 UTC 2013

Sean Dague wrote:
> I think there are 2 approaches that I see being fruitful, depending on
> the kind of problem the team is going after.
>
> 1) the yaml -> ical converter.
>
> Bulk of invention is going to be on the converter, especially
> translating into ical recurrance rules. Also will probably want / need
> to build an HTML UI for the end result so people can actually see it on
> a webpage as well.
>
> 2) drupal + calendar + workflow
>
> I was actually thinking about what ttx said about no tool existing out
> there to be able to take calendar updates into an approval queue. I
> think you could actually build that pretty easily with drupal base site
> (logins connected to lp openid) + calendar modules + workflow module
> (that allows for approval queues on changes).
>
> Different set of things to learn (more on the drupal side), however the
> advantages would be that a lot of the UI and ical bits would be handled
> already.

So.. approach 2 would definitely be more friendly for non-devs, but what
I like about option 1 (in addition to its lack of specific
infrastructure setup) is that you can check the proposed change for
future conflicts before it is even reviewed and at merge time, using the
same check/gate mechanisms we have for everything else. It sounds a lot
more difficult to set up such automated verification in the drupal case,
so that would push the conflict validation onto the human reviewing the
change...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)