[OpenStack-I18n] Planning Barcelona Design Summit session - contributors meetup

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Sun Oct 16 18:05:39 UTC 2016

On 10/16/2016 01:41 PM, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
> I think some of my added items might be aggressive, but my main point is
> that the i18n team needs to express more focused areas to reduce
> confusion around the feature freeze.
> GUI message translation continuously gathers interest of translations so
> far.
> Documentation translation is the next one.
> How about CLI? How about server project user-visible messages? How about
> log messages?
> This is my question.
>
> According a rough survey I made in OpenStack Days Tokyo last year (one
> year and a few months ago),
> translation interest from the attendees was "Horizon > Documentation >>
> CLI >> logging messages".
> (there were no categories such as release notes and server user-visible
> messages)

Still, some translators translate log messages first, since they are
nice and short ;(

We can give translators more guidance on what to translate - or we can
go one step further and disable some translations completely. Right now
if a project wants translation sync and sends a patch for
project-config, it goes in. But does it make sense with current team to
translate over 80 projects? Or should we instead tell projects: This is
what we focus on, therefore let's only put these documents in Zanata -
and nothing else?

Especially creating stable branches needs extra work and we should
really only do those for projects that the translators can handle,

Andreas
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)