[OpenStack-docs] Upstream Training

Pranav Salunke dguitarbite at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 11:43:45 UTC 2014

Hello training guides team,

We are waiting for our first custom tool to build HTML and PDF presentation
content from RST using Landslide and Weasyprint. You may find the patche
here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/126246/

Meanwhile pushing the python dependencies (Landslide and Weasyprint) to
global requirements has created another change in direction. Doug has
suggested to try hieroglyph instead of Landslide, you may find the patch
set here

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/127472/1/global-requirements.txt

I tested Hieroglyph and it uses sphinx for generating HTML slides which can
potentially replace landslide. The issues that I faced with Hieroglyph are:

1. Complexity of generating the configuration is really high.
2. HTML slides created are broken, something to do with the CSS and rst
format which I think is tuned for Landslide.
3. Cannot possibly create PDF' s as Weasyprint is not able to detect
multiple pages which was not the case with the HTML files created by
landslide.
4. This tool set cannot be given to the users for customization of slides.
Ofcourse running tox which does the trick for them can make it a bit easier.

I would like to know if it is worth the effort to switch to Hieroglyph just
to get closer to Sphinx while loosing the simplicity of Landslide and also
potentially loosing PDF support. This change will also result in modifying
the RST and the CSS files for Hieroglyph. Please share your opinions with
me, I suggest sticking to Landslide and Weasyprint.

Regards,
Pranav