[OPENSTACK][rabbitmq] using quorum queues

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Fri Jul 14 10:27:29 UTC 2023

On 30/06/2023 11:45, Dmitriy Rabotyagov wrote:
> 1. I'm not sure if that's a proper community goal, simply because it
> boils down to individual deployments and affects a really minority of
> projects, like oslo.messaging and deployment projects. Moreover, this
> affects only rabbit driver, which is the most popular option in
> oslo.messaging but not the only one. Usually community goal is used
> when you need to apply changes to the absolute majority of services,
> like in case with SQLAlchemy. So here I think we should discuss more
> default behaviour of oslo.messaging for rabbit driver and default
> value of rabbit_quorum_queue, which is basically up to oslo team to
> decide.

In case all of the queue type specifics only live in oslo.messaging and
are abstracted away from the application
I believe you are totally right. I was simply looking at [1] in which
certain features, if used, might require changes within the application.
This led me to believe this required a broader effort across the
projects to make this change.

But in the end the recommendation of a migration to quorum queues,
however done technically,
to me should rather be a goal and general release note for an OpenStack
release.

With the deprecation of classic mirrored queues within RabbitMQ this
migration needs to happen sooner or later anyways. To me it makes no
sense to change
for one component, but not for another. Choice in migration speed and
config options are always nice (like [3]), but in the end it's a
required cut over from one type to another with no need
to keep support for classic queues after a "bridge release" or two
supporting both.

> 2. In OpenStack-Ansible we already agreed on the latest PTG to make
> Quorum queues a new default and introduce migration to them. So it
> should be inlcuded in 2023.2 (bobcat) release, with keeping the
> upgrade path at very least to 2024.1 which will be the next SLURP.

Do you have a pointer to those efforts for me to follow? A Gerrit topic
or bug?

[1]
https://www.rabbitmq.com/migrate-mcq-to-qq.html#mcq-changes-way-queue-is-used
which