[ironic] This topic describes how to deploy images for the ironic service

Jay Faulkner jay at gr-oss.io
Fri Feb 17 18:21:08 UTC 2023

Hey,

I strongly suggest using ironic-python-agent-builder to create your
ramdisks and then mirror them separately. Customizing the image comes with
several benefits:
* Ability to customize cleaning of bespoke hardware using hardware managers
+ custom tooling
https://docs.openstack.org/ironic-python-agent/latest/contributor/hardware_managers.html

* Ability to choose the distribution you use (note: we only test a couple
in CI)
* Ability to add in extra pieces specific to your environment, such as
credentials. I've even been in a case where I needed to inject an iptables
configuration in order to receive security approval for a deployment.

There is a giant downside to building your own images: the images in the
linked locations in tarballs.opendev.org are only published when those
specific commits were passing CI. This gives you a stronger behavior
guarantee than you get when you build your own.

As for mirroring; our opendev partners may have anintegration they might
offer but frankly, if I were doing it myself, I'd probably use a tool such
as httrack to sync the files down periodically.

Good luck, let me know if you have any additional questions.

-
Jay Faulkner
Ironic PTL