[all][stable][ptl] Propose to EOL Rocky series

Elõd Illés elod.illes at est.tech
Fri Feb 10 17:26:44 UTC 2023

Hi,

thanks for all the feedbacks from teams so far!

@Zigo: Extended Maintenance process was created just for the same situation: to give space to interested parties to cooperate and keep things maintained even when stable releases are over their 'supported' lifetime. So it's good to see that there is interest in it! Unfortunately, with very old branches we've reached the state where gates can't be maintained and without a functional gate it's not safe to merge patches (yes, even security fixes) and they are just using resources (CI & maintainers' time). When gate is broken in such extent, then i think the community have to accept that it is not possible to merge patches confidently and needs to EOL that release. (Yes, it means that some vendors still have to do it for their own sake, testing it by their own, etc). Keeping things open in such state gives the false signal to vendors that 'it is maintained' however this is done without fully testing the changes.

Another aspect is that code cannot be cleaned up until those old branches are still present (CI jobs, project configurations, etc) which gives pain for developers.

So, however some vendors would appreciate probably to keep things open forever, for the community this is not beneficial and doable I think. Seeing that teams want to EOL their old branches is a proof that this is needed (unfortunately).

Thanks,

Előd Illés